Arriving by plane: Melbourne has two airports: Melbourne Tullamarine Airport (bigger, closer) and Avalon Airport (smaller, further). You can travel to the city via Taxi, Skybus, Uber, or hire a car.
Below are some estimated costs for most of these options.
- Taxi from Tullamarine: expect to pay up to approx $80 into the city
- Taxi from Avalon: expect to pay between $96.00 to $134.40 into the city
- Skybus: the cheap and efficient Skybus, which offers free connections from Southern Cross station to most major hotels. You can purchase a one-way fare or a return fare from Tullamarine $19.50/$39 and Avalon $22/$42. Fares are slightly cheaper when purchased online and in advance.
- Hire Car: It is best to arrange your hire car before arriving in Melbourne and collect it from the airport.
Getting around Melbourne
- Hire cars: The usual range of hire car providers are available in Melbourne, though the rent-a-bomb company is usually the cheapest.
- Public Transport: The Melbourne tram, bus and rail network is easy to negotiate, and the trams which cover the inner-city extensively are Melbourne icons.
You'll need a Myki card to travel; find more info here.
- Making new friends: In the spirit of lindy exchanges worldwide, you’ll find that many Melburnians are willing to give you lifts to, from, or between events. Try asking around at events to see if anyone has car spots available.
Looking for somewhere to stay?
There are a range of places to stay in Melbourne. All the late night parties are held at Forever Dance in Richmond, so inner city locations are ideal.
Quest Service Apartments in Hawthorn and Kew are offering special rates to MLX attendees.
Studio Apartment in Hawthorn - $199 (Mon-Thur) $150 (Fri-Sun)
Two Bedroom Apartment in Kew - $250
Three Bedroom Apartment in Kew - $400
Email [email protected] quoting MLX19 in the subject line to make a booking.
- The Richmond Hill Hotel is a short walk from our late night venue.
- Past MLX visitors have had kind words for the Nunnery hostel in Fitzroy.
- www.airbnb.com.au is a very popular choice for non-traditional accommodation.
- You can find out about hostels at hostelz.com
- Lastminute.com.au is another good website for urgent accommodation deals.
- Check wotif.com for information about last-minute and other accommodation.
- Consult the Visit Melbourne accommodation guide for other accommodation types.