Event Safety Policies
We are committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment that is welcoming and supportive of all event attendees and staff. Here are a few of the steps we’re taking to make MLX safe for you.
- All attendees, musicians, committee members, security staff and volunteers are subject to the MLX Code of Conduct. Committee members, volunteers and DJs have all been specifically briefed in relation to the standards of behaviour required of them at MLX, and their role in promoting safety at the event.
- MLX maintains a team of four Safety Officers who are contactable throughout the year and throughout the event. Information about how to contact our Safety team can be found on our “Report an issue” page.
- Within the Safety team, we have established procedures to ensure that all complaints are treated seriously and actioned while preserving the confidentiality of the reporter if required. This includes complaints made in relation to a committee member, volunteer, DJ or a Safety Officer, or any other persons officially involved with the event.
- MLX employs security staff at all of its events, including the late night parties.
- At each event during MLX, there is a Safe/Quiet room available to participants. This room is a quiet space where participants can go if they need space and time, for any reason. While we ask participants not to use this space as a hangout zone, no justification is required for making use of this space. Participants are encouraged to text the Safe Space phone when making use of the safe room, so that Safety Officers can ensure they are left in peace or check in on them if the situation requires.
- At the Space Dance Studio (Thursday night), the location of the Safe room has not been formalised yet. However, volunteers at the front desk and event staff will be able to direct you to the correct location. The door will also be clearly signed.
- At Collingwood Town Hall (Friday night), the Safe Room is located near the entrance, to the right, in the alcove area with the stained glass windows. Volunteers at the front desk and event staff will be able to direct you to the correct location. The door will also be clearly signed.
- At Hawthorn Town Hall (Saturday night), the location of the Safe room has not been formalised yet. However, volunteers at the front desk and event staff will be able to direct you to the correct location. The door will also be clearly signed.
- At Forever Dance (Sunday night, Late night parties), the Safe Room is located at the back of the venue, accessible through the back doors of either dance studio. There will be a sign on the door indicating that it is the safety area.
- Leaving the late night parties in the dark can feel unsafe. MLX has established a ‘walking bus’ that will leave on the hour to escort attendees back to their cars in a group. This initiative is run by event attendees and volunteers. Sign up for a shift running this year’s walking bus when you register for MLX, or contact us to get involved.
- MLX hosts an annual Safety Summit. This is a private event that brings Safety organisers from across the community together to learn from each other’s experiences, develop better policies and safety response structures and share safety response resources.
MLX is focussed on continually improving its Safety response policies. If you have any suggestions about what we can do to help promote safety at our event and in our community, please contact us.